Sunderland vs Chelsea Betting Tips
Stadium of Light
Arsenal’s last night slip up has handed Chelsea a major boost in their title race and they will be visiting the Stadium of Light eyeing a six point lead at the top of the table. However, Sunderland haven’t been the easiest team to face for the Blues away from home in the recent years as they haven’t won here since 2013. Chelsea have lost twice in their last three trips to Sunderland and drew the other one. Chelsea, who are currently on a nine match winning streak, would be desperate to make it 10 wins in a row and break their away jinx at Sunderland.
Sunderland suffered a huge blow to their survival battle when they were rampaged 3-0 by fellow strugglers Swansea on Sunday. The defeat shoved David Moyes’ team back to the bottom of the table despite winning three of their last five matches. Sunderland have won their last two games at home and a surprising win against Chelsea would see them winning three back to back home games for the first time since February, 2012.
Paddy McNair(knee), Duncan Watmore(knee)Lee Cattermole(hip), Fabio Borini(groin) and Jack Rodwell(hamstring) are out for Sunderland. Didider N’ Dong will also be unavailable due to a suspension.
Chelsea could have their skipper John Terry back after a month. The veteran defender, who suffered a muscular problem, is scheduled to face a late fitness test.
Historically, Chelsea have struggled at Stadium of Light recently but their current form have shown us their capability to devise an escape plan in any situation. They came back from a goal down to beat Man City, they grinded out a winning goal against a rock solid West Brom defense-they seem to have the solution to defuse all complications. That said, we don’t see much hope for Sunderland to rescue anything from this game.
- Sunderland(20th in the league, last 5 matches in all competitions)
0-3(Away, Swansea)2-1(Home, Leicester)0-2(Away, Liverpool)3-0(Home, Hull)2-1(Away, Bournemouth)
- Chelsea(1st in the league, last 5 matches in all competitions)
1-0(Home, West Brom)3-1(Away, Manchester City)2-1(Home, Tottenham)1-0(Away, Middlesbrough)5-0(Home, Everton)
HEAD TO HEAD
|Total Played||Chelsea wins||Sunderland wins||Draws|
7 May, 2016
Stadium of Light
Sunderland 3-Chelsea 2
- Chelsea last 20 away games against teams below them-14 wins, 3 draws, 3 losses
- Sunderland last 20 home games against teams above them-6 wins, 5 draws, 9 defeats
- Sunderland beat Chelsea 3-2 in May, this after winning just once against the Blues in their previous 10 Premier League games (D1 L8).
- Chelsea haven’t lost successive Premier League games against Sunderland since March 2001.
- Jermain Defoe has scored against Chelsea with four different Premier League clubs, the only player to have done this (West Ham, Tottenham, Portsmouth and Sunderland).
- Defoe has either scored (8) or assisted (2) 10 of Sunderland’s 14 Premier League goals so far in 2016-17 (71%).
- This fixture has seen 111 goals scored in 30 Premier League games, averaging at 3.7 goals per game.
- The Black Cats have kept just one clean sheet in their last 16 Premier League games.
- Chelsea are unbeaten in their last 15 Premier League games played on a Wednesday, last losing to QPR in January 2013 (W8 D7).
- Sunderland have won their last two Premier League home games – they haven’t won three in a row at the Stadium of Light since February 2012.
- Chelsea are on a run of four successive Premier League away victories and will be looking to win five in a row on the road for the first time since April 2015.
- Only Manchester United and Arsenal have managed to stop Diega Costa from contributing to any goals in the league this season.