Manchester City vs Watford Predictions
Manchester City find themselves seven points off the title course as they play host to Walter Mazzarri’s Watford this evening. The Citizens were ruthlessly punished by Leicester for their lackluster display on Sunday and conceded a 3-1 loss at home to league leaders Chelsea the week before. With a home fixture against Arsenal coming up next, Pep Guardiola would be desperate to avoid any further slip-ups and pick up a revitalizing victory against Watford.
Watford are more in sync with the festive season as they moved up to the seventh position by beating Everton at home on Saturday. Stefano Okaka scored a brace in Watford’s first win against Everton in 29 years and established himself as a viable option upfront. Watford have bulged the net 21 times this season, which is more than Manchester United(20). Should they keep their momentum, they might make City pay for their chaotic defending once again and pick up their maiden Premier League win against the Sky Blues.
The hosts will miss their top scorer Sergio Aguero once again, who will be serving the second of his four match ban. Fernandinho is also ruled out for suspension while Nicolas Otamendi returns after serving a one match ban. Vincent Kompany remains the missing, and perhaps the most valuable, piece of City’s defense as the Belgian is ruled out till January for a knee injury.
Roberto Pereyra and Younes Kaboul could be recalled to action for Watford. Valon Behrami remains a doubt for being ill.
City have the attacking aptitude required for outscoring the visitors even though Sergio Aguero is not available. But we are expecting goals at both ends also. So, it could be a 2-1 or 3-1 for the hosts.
- Manchester City(4th in the league, last 5 matches in all competitions)
2-4(Away, Leicester City)1-1(UCL, Home, Celtic)1-3(Home, Chelsea)2-1(Away, Burnley)1-1(UCL, Away, Borussia Monchengladbach)
3-2(Home, Everton)1-3(Away, West Brom)0-1(Home, Stoke)2-1(Home, Leicester)1-6(Away, Liverpool)
HEAD TO HEAD
|Total Played||ManCity wins||Watford wins||Draws|
2 January, 2016
Manchester City 2-Watford 1
- Manchester City last 20 home games against teams below them-13 wins, 4 draws, 3 losses
- Watford last 20 away games against teams above them-4 draws and 16 losses
- Manchester City are unbeaten in four previous Premier League games against Watford, winning both fixtures against them last season (W2 D2 L0).
- The Hornets didn’t manage a single shot on target in their Premier League meeting with Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium last season.
- All seven of the previous goals scored in this fixture in the Premier League have arrived after half-time.
- Watford’s last league win over Manchester City came in a second tier clash in March 1989 (D2 L4 since).
- Watford have never won a Premier League match on a Wednesday (W0 D2 L7).
- Pep Guardiola has seen his side concede three or more goals in consecutive league games for the very first time as a manager.
- Guardiola has only lost three successive league games as a manager once before – this was in May 2015 as Bayern Munich boss (vs Bayer 04 Leverkusen, FC Augsburg and Sport-Club Freiburg).
- Manchester City have won just three of their seven Premier League home games this season (W3 D3 L1) – they have won double this number away from home (6).
- Watford have conceded nine goals and allowed their opponents 20 shots on target in their last two Premier League away matches.
- Over half (12) of the last 22 goals that Watford have conceded in the Premier League have come following an opposition cross.